Whether you’re going hunting this weekend or just headed to the range, you’re going to need a safe and secure spot for your guns or firearms. It’s not enough to stick your mortar in the glove compartment and call it day.
Carrying a gun or firearm in your Ford F-150 means you need some sort of legitimate gun security on board. Regardless of the reason for carrying guns and weaponry in your truck (that’s no one’s business, anyway), you still want to make sure they’re safe, out of sight, and locked up, right?
Of course, you do. So let’s break down F-150 gun safes together. Here’s what you’ll find in this article:
Why the Heck Should You Stick a Gun Safe in Your F-150 Anyway?
**Some states have laws requiring weapons to be carried unloaded, in a locked case, and stored separately from any ammunition (which has to be stored in its own locked case). Make sure you know the laws and regulations in your state before you even think about stashing your sidearm loose in the door compartments or under the seat. Now back to the fun stuff.
Whether you use your Ford F-150 for work or play, you must be careful. Regardless of the state you live in, when you carry a gun, it is your responsibility to make sure your weapons are carried and transported safely. A gun safe protects you and your passengers (especially children), prevents accidental discharge, and deters would-be thieves.
Now that’s just the basics and some common sense. But let’s look at the benefits of a gun safe in a little bit more detail:
- Security: A good gun safe in your F-150 will foil sticky fingers, and that might be more important than you imagine. An FBI report showed that nearly $164.5 million bucks worth of firearms were reported stolen in 2015, and only 8.6% were recovered. So in addition to following the law and preventing accidents, you’re also securing your investment. Guns ain’t cheap!
- Protection: Again, your firearms are expensive and fragile. A safe is just what you need to protect them from damage. Not only would a gun safe protect your guns from any external damage, it protects any damage to your F-150. You don’t want an accidental misfire to shatter your windshield, do you?
- Access: In an emergency (and just for straight up best, safe practices), you want to be able to access your gun whenever necessary. Imagine a dire situation in which you can’t locate your gun because it wasn’t in a secure safe—you know, where it should be. Is it rolling around the truck bed? Is it under the seat? Heaven forbid, is it in the cup holder?!
- Safety: Perhaps the most important thing here, a secure gun safe in your truck offers protection from accidental misfires and injuries. A gun safe in your F-150 minimizes the risk of accidents for not only you, but your passengers. Without a safe in your truck, you can’t be sure who’d get their hands on your gun.
Ford F-150 Gun Safe Ideas
Alright, so you already know why it’s important to get a gun safe for your F-150, but now you need some actual ideas. Let’s break down just some of the basic options.
The most popular options for truck gun storage are:
- Center console safes: This is probably the most accessible spot for your smaller guns. Most center console safes fit perfectly and don’t require any modifications to your truck’s factory console. They’re also pretty easy to install, which makes it crowd favorite. Just make sure to get a safe with a keyed entry or a digit-entry lock. Check out these high-quality center console safes from Lock’er Down for some inspiration.
- Underseat locking boxes: These are more optimal for your bigger firearms and tactical/hunting rifles. They’ve become popular because of their no-interfere nature and look practically invisible to the average eye. They tuck safely underneath the rear seat, fastens, and is easily retractable.
- Locking truck bed drawers: You already know DECKED has this down to a science. First off, DECKED is double-locking. You can lock the drawers themselves, and then a locking tailgate ensures you can’t get inside the DECKED system with the tailgate closed and locked. This double-locking functionality is why DECKED is trusted by folks in the FBI, military, and police. DECKED will keep your guns and ammo actually organized, dry, and easily accessible. Naturally, you want to know more about this option—we’ll be covering this in much more detail below.
Now that we’ve reviewed some of the most common and popular types of truck gun safes, let’s take a look at some specific brands and products to do the trick. We’ve included examples of some of our favorite gun safes, but other options are easy to find on Amazon or your favorite truck accessory store.
Whatever model you choose, make sure to check the customer reviews and confirm it comes with a good warranty. Many of these models will fit other types of vehicles, like the Ford Expedition, the Chevy Silverado, or the Toyota 4Runner, in case you have other vehicles to outfit.
Ready to check a couple of these beauties out?
- The Ford F-150 Security Vault is a center console vault for a bucket seat truck or SUV. It’s the perfect size for a handgun and can be used to store papers, cash, and other smaller items that need to be kept secure. You can choose from either a keyed or a combo lock.
- An underseat safe like Alterum’s F-150 Locking Under Seat Storage Box is ideal for larger weapons in trucks with bench seats. It has the advantage of being out of sight, hidden under the rear seat. Despite that, it’s got a black powder coat finish, so it’s rustproof and will look good for years.
- Lock’er Down has a fantastic underseat locker for long guns, the popular Lock’er Down Exxtreme console safe, and various other full floor console models that fit both new trucks and older Raptor and Platinum models. You can also find underseat models designed to accommodate split bench model trucks, even if you’ve got a brand spankin’ new 2021 Ford Super Duty.
- If you’ve got an older F-150 with a supercrew cab, the Tuffy Underseat Lockbox is a great option and even has a built-in subwoofer. Plus, it’s made from welded, 16-gauge steel construction with a 3-point locking system and drill-resistant locks.
- The DECKED Drawer System is perfect for larger guns and all tactical gear. Completely weatherproof and complete with individual key locks, this is the most secure, yet easily accessible, truck gun storage system on the market. Simply store all your guns in a drawer, pull them out when you need to, and have peace of mind knowing it’s completely secure from thieves and the elements when locked. The Drawer System can be used on its own or you can use the DECKED Crossbox or D-Box for storing multiple weapons and ammo separately. The boxes (and even the D-Bag, if that’s more your style) can secure your handguns and then fit perfectly into the drawers themselves. All boxes and the D-Bag are weatherproof, too. And if that’s not enough, you can put up to 2,000 pounds of payload on top of the DECKED Drawer System!
- If you’re not the bed drawer type, don’t worry, DECKED still has another option for you. The DECKED Tool Box is the next best deal for all your gun storage needs. Because of its rugged construction, they can take a whole lot of abuse and are virtually impossible to break into. What makes the Tool Box so indestructible? They’re made of the same stuff football helmets are made of. If it’s good enough for Tom Brady’s head, it’s even better for your gear. Oh, and they’re still fully weatherproof, so no matter where you’re going, they’ll keep your guns, ammunition, and anything else you carry 100% bone dry and safe from the elements. You can put handguns into the Crossbox or D-Box, add extra organization with Kaizen foam inserts, place it all into the Tool Box, and lock everything up with total peace of mind. The Tool Box is easy to install and accessible from the side of the truck because of its innovative telescopic ladder. What does this mean? It’s no longer a pain in the ass to climb in the back of the truck to get your firearms.
Gun Storage Ideas for Your Ford F150: Important Things to Keep in Mind
To figure out which type of gun storage will work for you, your Ford F-150, and your firearms, you need to consider a few things:
- How big are the firearms you’re carrying and what size vault do you need? What good is a safe or vault if it’s too big or small for your gun?
- Think about the placement and accessibility of your gun safe. Do you need to access it while seated in the vehicle?
- What type of lock do you prefer? Key lock? Combination lock? Or maybe even a fingerprint ID mechanism?
Before choosing your vehicle safe, it’s also important to make sure you’re covering state gun laws and concealed carry laws. Take the time to do your due diligence and make sure your firearms will never be subject for seizure.
Lastly, remember this: Your weapon must never be kept where it’s visible, even if your truck is locked. Never keep them openly visible on the seat, the center console, or even loose in the trunk. Keep your gun locked in a secure storage safe and if it’s a key lock, make sure you keep the key safe, too.
Be Safe and Secure with DECKED
No one wants to be stressing about where your gun is and whether it’s secure. That headache is easy to avoid with a little forward planning.
If you’re serious about your guns, DECKED is the perfect solution. Other gun safes have merit, but few offer the amount of storage space, organization, and uncompromised security of the DECKED Drawer System or Tool Box.
So, what’re you waiting for? Pick the DECKED Tool Box or Drawer System, add any accessories, and hit that checkout button. There’s just no denying it: DECKED is the ultimate gun storage solution for your Ford F-150.